Station 44 averts structure fire at Sea Gem Motel…


THE SEA GEM MOTEL & MAYER’S MANOR ROOMING HOUSE, the site of the April 12th averted structure fire.


This fence had to be physically torn down to access the alleyway where the fire was reported.


VARIOUS LITTER AND DEBRIS were the fuel for the fire, speculated to have been caused possibly by a cigarette flicked out of a nearby window.


SHFD’s Matt Semeraro shows readers how the fire melted the siding and began burning upwards. The fire also burned through all the way to the plywood sheathing of the Sea Gem.

Station 44 averts structure fire at Sea Gem Motel: It appears as if a structure fire was narrowly avoided the morning of Saturday April 12, 2008. Station 44, The Seaside Heights Volunteer Fire Department responded to a call of a small fire between the addresses of 55 and 57 Dupont Avenue. These buildings are the Sea Gem Motel and the Mayer’s Manor Rooming House. It is speculated that perhaps a carelessly tossed cigarette could be to blame for a the fire that started in a pile a strewn debris in a fenced-off alley between the two multiple dwelling properties. SHFD Chief James Samarelli was in command of the scene, assisted by both 1st Asst. Chief William Rumbolo and Battalion Chief Lou Urcinole. Chief Rumbolo had to break down a portion of wooden fence that separated the Mayer’s Manor/Sea Gem alleyway from the public sidewalk. The area of damage was to the exterior wall of the Sea Gem, which experienced melted siding, with burn through to the plywood sheathing of the building, which was scorched, but not ignited. It is obvious that the fire was put out just before it began it quickly spread up the building’s side and caused a serious structure fire. SHFD personnel which included nozzleman Greg Kohr, Matt Semeraro, Ann Phillips, Randy Cabral, and Jessica Paola sprayed water on the melted siding, to be sure any fire was completely extinguished. This is the second small fire the SHFD has fought since switching to the new high-band paging system dispatched at the Ocean County Sheriff’s Department Communications Center. On Friday April 11th, an electrical fire was extinguished inside the paint ball stand located between Blaine and Grant Avenues on the Boardwalk.

CLICK THE ARROW BELOW TO BE CONNECTED TO A SHORT VIDEO OF THE SEA GEM FIRE, NOW PUBLISHED ON youtube.com:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: